Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My sweet mother in law Linda


I have wanted to blog for the last few weeks but didn't know what to say. I knew I had to blog about the biggest thing happening in my families life, and that was Linda's health.  And then it was too late.

This is what I wrote on Saturday, as I was by myself  for the first time in a week:

It has been a long week filled with great joy and sadness, laughter and tears.  A week ago today my mother in law went to be with the Lord.  I cry even as I type this for my husband, for myself, for my boys.  We will miss her dearly, but for Linda I rejoice.  She has been sick for some time now, with COPD.  These last few months were very difficult for her.  When Micah was born she was too weak to visit.  I told here I would bring the boys to her, because she came weekly to see Caleb and give me a break while I was on maternity leave.  Shortly after Micah was born she went to the hospital because she could not breath.  She was at the hospital for a long time, she was very weak and in a lot of pain.  While at the hospital she caught an infection and had emergency surgery removing her large intestine. Linda passed away from complications with the surgery and her COPD.

This week has been very hard, harder than I thought as she was very sick and I knew this day was coming sooner rather than later.  I grieve as a mom, more deeply than I thought possible.  I grieve for my children, and my twin nieces arriving in march.  I grieve for Linda's children. I grieve as a wife for her husband of 42 years and 3 months.

We were all at the hospital.  With her during those last few moments.  Even now I cry.  But then I remember that she is no longer in pain, no longer slowed by her breather. Gigi is with Jesus.  That is what we told Caleb and what he sweetly repeats when pray with him.  Back when Caleb was born she used to say, I can't walk and talk and breath at the same time.  Now she can do all three.  I am not sad for Linda.  For Linda I rejoice.  For my family I cry.

I will remember her.  Those are the words Chris spoke at her memorial service.  Surrounded by lots of  family and friends.  He is much better with words than I am.  He spoke about his mom teaching him to pray as a boy.  What a precious gift she gave him.  I am forever thankful to her for raising a godly man.

 It is now Wednesday and at this moment the pain is not so raw.  I can speak about the last few weeks factually and get through the words.  The pain and emotions are still there but life with two little ones goes on. 

This is one of my favorite pictures.  It's Linda holding Caleb on the day he was born.



3 comments:

  1. I'm crying along with you as I read this. I'm giving you a virtual hug right now { squeeze}.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikki, we have prayed for you guys and continue to do so. We are so sad for you all. Thinking of you and praying for you,
    The Yakovlevs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mikki - I am sorry to hear about Chris' mom's passing; I didn't know she was sick. I'll be praying for you all - it's so hard to lose a parent. Thomas won't ever know either of his grandfathers and it always makes me sad to think of it, but I know that he has a lot of grandpas at our church.

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie