Wednesday, November 25, 2009

1 month old today

Wow can't believe Caleb is one month old already and at the same time I very much believe it. Yeah still working on sleep, however I will say he did pretty well the last two nights sleeping in 3 hour increments. I'm an analytical person, so the frustrating thing about figuring out this sleep thing, is that there is not an obvious cause and effect and there is no distinguishable pattern. We are however now working on establishing a routine which if for no other reason helps me feel like I'm working toward a goal. It also appears to be working.

The highlight of my day these days is typically my walk around the neighborhood. During my walks I have lots of time to ponder and reflect on the day. As such I have come up with some random thoughts:

1. Just because you didn't have stretch marks when you were pregnant does not mean you will not get them. They can appear after the baby is born. I like to call my stretch marks purple flames.

2. I think I will always be more sensitive then I was before Caleb was born.

3. People are not very tactful when giving advise, see number 2 above. I know that they are not trying to say that I'm a bad mom when they give advice but it feels like it.

4. Mom instincts have not set in yet. I love my son and desire to shower him with love and care, but I don't currently love staying at home taking care of an infant that doesn't interact with me. As of right now I think I'm more of a toddler and above person. I like older kids, which is why I teach high school.

5. I've decided that parenting is like factoring you guess what is wrong or needs to be done and you check to see if it worked, repeating this process until you get it right. The more you do it the better you get at guessing, which shortens the process, until you come to a problem you have never seen before like a leading coefficient. After a few of these new problems you get the hang of it until you come to a totally new problem like x^3 + 8. I'm curious if any of you guys remember how to factor this one? You would have learned it in Algebra 2



looking cute in his dinosaur pj's
he's started sting out his tongue
one of only 3 pictures of me and the little man, note i'm looking a lot like a mom (no effort for my looks)
Max and the little man cuddling
the little man not so happy to not be held, notice the red face it's a barometer for his mood also note max is not phased
daddy and the little man after his first bath ( the pic is old i just forgot to post it)
one of my favs

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Thanks Teach. Relearning how to factor cubes was a trip down memory lane.

    Love the pictures. Especially the one of you and Caleb.

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie