Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day Out with Thomas

This weekend was the long awaited and very anticipated trip to ride on Thomas.  Caleb loves loves loves Thomas.  Actually his favorites these days are the more obscure characters like Mavis, Big Belle, Fighter Fighter Flynn, Victor and Emily.  So when I heard about a fun event called Day Out with Thomas I knew we had to go.  There is only one location in Georgia and it is in south Georgia, which we decided was too far away.  But I discovered there was one in Chattanooga (only 1.5 hours drive) and I knew we had to go.

Our tickets were for 10 am, and they suggest arriving an hour early.  The boys woke up and we loaded the car for our exciting drive to see the trains. 

Okay enough talking here are my favorite pictures of the day.

The event was at the Tennessee Valley Rail Road Museum, so there were lots of trains to see and touch.  Do you see "Harvey" up ahead?  Don't be confused, it's not "Cranky" because the crane is attached to a train car not a stationary base.  We watched the crane demonstration for a while

Watching the crane

with Sir Topham Hatt, a bit creepy

This is the best picture we got of him with Thomas. He had a meltdown when we were at the official photo spot.

riding the train

Can you see how excited he was?

This was his spot for the entire 23 minute ride.  The train went backwards then forwards.

I was there too

Micah was also mesmerized by the train ride.

Cheeeeeeese
So from this fabulous adventure I learned a few things. 

1.  Going early in the morning was a good idea - less people and it wasn't too hot
2.  This wonderful event is something you want to be at for about 2 hours, after that there isn't much to see and you risk having major melt downs.
3.  A train table to play at is not a good idea in a large crowd.  I forgot to warn Caleb that we would be leaving the train table in 5 minutes and attempted to tear him away at a moments notice.  I was "that" mom with the hysterical 2 year old screaming and crying because I wouldn't let him play trains
4.  There is no where to eat at this event (they have some snacks but no real restraunt) so you will want to grab  lunch on the way out of town or find a fun place in town.  (we went to Terminal Brewhouse - awesome place but not perfect for a group with equal kids to adults)
5.  I told Caleb we were going 3 days in advance and I wish I had told him a week in advance so he would be super excited
6.  I did not prep him for posing in front of Thomas and we should have practiced, see # 5.

Overall the perfect trip for a 2 year old boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie