For thanksgiving we had a wonderful time with lots of family. Before I joined the family every Thanksgiving was celebrated with Chris' mom's family. Since it had been a long time we all decided to get together this year (minus a few cousins and one aunt and uncle who were sick). It was a wonderful trip until Chris and I noticed that Caleb was stuttering. On Friday he was fine but on Saturday he would stutter. Not every word and not every phrase but often enough to worry that something was wrong. So we went to the ER where we learned nothing, other than a CT scan on someone so young can have harsh side effects as an adult, lower IQ and linked to adult cancer. But the doctor said he wasn't showing signs of a serious brain injury. Today our pediatrician said not to worry too much but to watch it and let him know if it worsens. Lots of internet research revealed that this is not an unusual (I hate to say normal) developmental stage that will most likely go away in a month or so. However that doesn't stop me from worrying, and I'm not a worrier.
I think of my son as a bright kid. He has a large vocabulary, understands almost everything I say and puts together words to form a sentence. So when I hear my bright boy start to stutter and have difficulty spitting out what he could say in less then a second the day before it breaks my heart. I know he is still the same bright boy but I couldn't help but think that people will look at him differently now. Today he was trying to say 'Mommy open this' but he got stuck on open and gave up. This from the kid that repeats the same phrase over and over again, louder and louder until you acknowledge him. It makes me so sad. I am trusting in the Lord that this is just a phase. I'm praying about it and speaking a bit slower to help him out.
Last night my mind was racing with what his life will be like if this never goes away. Will kids make fun of him? Will he talk less? Do I tell all of his teacher or the nursery workers? You know the things that moms worry about. And when you start down that path of worrying about the near and distant future it is an all consuming worry. So I will worry no more and pray instead.

Hey Mikki,
ReplyDeleteRicardo and I just prayed for you, Chris and Caleb. May you feel God's peace and in Him be filled with hope that all things work for good for those that love Jesus. God created your precious boy and loves him and will uphold him. We love Caleb, too!
Praying along with y'all.
ReplyDeleteOh Mikki, I will pray for Caleb! I know this must be very worrying and hard to watch him go through this. Praying with you and lots of love!
ReplyDeleteWe will pray too Mikki! I hope it is just a phase. Loved your Thanksgiving card and the boys are adorable! Love to you all!
ReplyDelete