Sunday, April 4, 2010

New stuff in the life of Caleb

Sorry blog world that it has taken me more than a week to give you more that just pictures.

Caleb has found his thumb. It started as him sucking his two middle fingers or the last three (birdie, pointer and pinkie) fingers and has now morphed to him sucking his thumb. He doesn't do it all the time but definitely does it when he is tired or really frustrated. Part of me is a bit worried by this because I don't want it to be something he does all the time, but it is a comfort to him, and helps him sleep at night.

He officially sleeps through the night. I have been receiving this question since he was born. Primarily by people who have older children, so I think they are long enough removed that they don't remember how long it takes. I would now describe Caleb's sleeping as a journey. He started waking up every three hours, then he would sleep for five hours when he first went to bed and after that wake up every three hours. Which then became sleeping for six hours upon going to bed and waking up once more before morning. This lasted for a few weeks. Which then morphed into him waking up once at night any where between 1:30 and 4:30. A couple of nights in there he would wake up twice, then back to just once. And now after two weeks of him sleeping from 6:30 to 6:30 I can say he sleeps through the night. We have had a night or so where he woke up once but that happens. I'm not worried. Oh and in case you are thinking wow, 6:30 is so early, yes it is but the little man needs his sleep and with me working we have to leave house by 6:45 so he has to go to bed early.

I recieved my first phone call from day care saying call us your child is sick. I panicked until she told me its okay we think he has pink eye and you need to come get him, we know it about time for school to get out so if you need to wait it is okay but if you could come earlier we would appreciate it. So I went to my department chair and said Caleb has pink eye, what do I do? Luckily she is a mom and grandmother and told me to go get him and that she would find someone to cover my class. I called the pediatrician who said they don't see kids for pink eye they just call in a prescription and transferred me to the nurse line where I left a message with the number of my pharmacy. The nurse said, oh it sounds like allergies. I'll call in some drops and if it doesn't clear by monday bring him in and we will take a look. Well by that night his eye had swollen, it wasn't red but was clearly not doing well. I was so releaved that he didn't have pink eye, because of course I thought it was my fault that my baby got pink eye, so I forgot to ask the nurse any questions. By the time Caleb went to bed I was convinced it wasn't allergies and that the drops were going to be useless. Luckily Chris had Good Friday off from work and he was able to take him to the doctor for clarification/peace of mind for me, since our doctor is not open on Saturdays (btw this experience has made me re-evaluate my choice in pediatrician). The doctor confirmed that he actually does have pink eye and it should go away with the drops. So far neither Chris nor I have gotten pink eye.

Caleb is discovering everything around him, but his coordination is not quite there yet, so he mainly flails. Which is so fun to watch.

Now that Caleb is proficient at rolling over he turns to the left doing a 360. He only turns to the left though. I put a toy just out of his reach on his right and in order to get the toy he turned to his left until he reached the toy (about 320 degrees). I wonder when he will turn to the right?

I think that is it for now on new developments. Here's a few pictures of Caleb and his robin.






I told you he was grabby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie